Operation Garden Panzer - Pic Heavy

Museums, battlefields and other places of interest
Olivier

Re: Operation Garden Panzer - Pic Heavy

Post by Olivier »

noticed that most of you are passing Dunkirk on your way to "the east"..

Sure you know that something rather dramatic happened there in 1940... we have a great museum , friendly people and cold beer in here.

So next time, why don't you just stop and say hello?

Olivier

Nickdives

Post by Nickdives »

Next time try a Gyros!! There used to be a museum assistant who was an ex Tiger II crewman, last time I was there was 2004. He was chatting to some of my chaps for quite some time, to summarise it was a good tank, but kept breaking down and there was never enough fuel!
SJWi

Post by SJWi »

Olivier,

Thanks for the tip but we "did" Dunkirk last November. Most of the same crew who went to Munster had a long weekend in and around Dunkirk. For anyone who hasn't been it is highly recommended especially if your period is early WW2.
Trockledockle

Post by Trockledockle »

Excellent pictures. Overloon is a very good museum and seems to have been revamped in the last 5 years. It used to have a detailed display on German paratroopers, is that still there?
John
Supporting Member

Post by John »

Thanks for report and pics ,looks like a great trip ,well done ,a good time had by all by the looks of it. cheers John thmbs2) thmbs2)
chairborne
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by chairborne »

Trockledockle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:36 am Excellent pictures. Overloon is a very good museum and seems to have been revamped in the last 5 years. It used to have a detailed display on German paratroopers, is that still there?
Thanks - yes, tucked around the back of the main hall/entrance there was a whole room of displays with variants of German para uniforms and kit.
recon

Post by recon »

great pics and report....few will have to go on the to do list ..
you say going to ardennes next ..you will be spoilt for choice there some of the museums have had a refit in last couple of years ,,manhay is a good one ..
Poacher
Supporting Member

Post by Poacher »

Great pictures, just reread the thread. Reminded me that in 1988 I was on a German language course and we 'had' to go there and learn about vehicles and there parts? The Curator at the time kept going on about using British red lead paint to prime the vehicles!! AS that was 31 years ago I am sure it has improved, one day I want to go back.

Return to “Sights and Sites”