A question about HMS Belfast 38?

Please post here your painting guides, tips, how to’s etc...
foxbat

A question about HMS Belfast 38?

Post by foxbat »

38 as it is her official name since the RN has commissioned a frigate of the same name ;)

As she is displayed now in the pool of London, is she painted in the same scheme as she wore when she took part in the sinking of the Scharnhorst? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Trockledockle

Re: A question about HMS Belfast 38?

Post by Trockledockle »

Malcolm Wright in his book says that (at the time of writing - roughly 2016) that the current ship’s paint scheme is closest to the post December 1942 scheme. December 1942’s patterns and colours are very similar to the December 1943 North Cape camouflage (507a, 507c and B5).

Comparing his drawing with photographs after the recent refit, it looks very similar, although to me the colours are lighter. Malcolm Wright does say that the colours do change a lot depending on angle, sunshine etc. He mentions that all horizontal surfaces were 507a including 6” turret tops. The current ship doesn’t seem to have those. Of course the ship was modified post war so won’t look exactly the same.

My research on a number of RN ships makes me think that patterns changed quite often as did the colours. At the end up I decided to just go with the pattern I liked the most as I would have to have a different model for each battle!
foxbat

Post by foxbat »

Thanks, this helps much. When I visited her, a lot of years ago, she was painted grey and you could visit but a small part of the ship ;)
John
Supporting Member

Post by John »

I used to drink in a pub right next to the HMS Belfast, outside if possible.
The effect the changing light had on the paint scheme was considerable. You could take a half dozen photographs of her throughout the day, and not two of them would look the same. thmbs2)

Return to “Painting Guides and tips.”