The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 06 05 18

Win or lose, post your AARs here....
TacticalPainter

The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 06 05 18

Post by TacticalPainter »

The campaign has already started and I would have posted this to The Guild, had (sob, sob) it still been around.

This is an interesting and unusual take on the campaign concept that was published in the Too Fat Lardies Christmas Special 2017 (available as a downloadable pdf from their website). It is April 1945, the British are driving into Germany and the German units are not totally reliable. The German commander has two platoons of Heer, two of Falschimjager and one weak platoon of Volkssturm. Each of the four full platoons must be allocated in advance to defend a separate map, of the 8 maps to be defended. Two Kreigsmarine supermines are available for undefended boards and the Volkssturm can either defend another map or be broken down into squads and assigned to support the other maps. Prior to the British arrival at a particular map the defenders must roll on the 'Endkampf' table to see if they stand and fight, or opt to surrender. There's a great deal of uncertainty for both sides. With good luck the Germans may have all units stand and fight. With their own good fortune the British may find the way open and they can make good progress.

I chose to play the Germans because it presents the biggest challenge. You can follow the full AARs for Scenarios 1 and 2 here:
https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... and-2.html

And for Scenario 3 here:
https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... rio-3.html

Last edited by TacticalPainter on Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Tactical Painter
Painting small figures for tactical games on the tabletop
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR

Post by mausmann »

Thanx for posting..... 8-) Really like the terrain, has a classic feel to it that I like..... ;)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
recon

Post by recon »

great table and cheers for posting interesting spin on things
NotbingOld

Post by NotbingOld »

Excellent report. Liked the terrain simple but effective. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Stewart
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

Thanks for posting,your game looked great :)
dead1

Post by dead1 »

Love this campaign. Actually find the concept of choosing not to play or even not being able to play a scenario due to surrender fascinating.
TacticalPainter

Boroda wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 amIs the campaign system easily transferable? I'm thinking of different WW2 settings, or other rule sets, or even other historical periods? Any insight would be must appreciated. TIA.
I think it should be. It's designed for platoon level skirmish. Each campaign will give you the basic order of battle in terms of the platoons, you then have a support list, from which you can select historically available supports like AT guns, tanks, MG teams according to the scenario you are playing. The campaigns all include maps for each table you need to set up.

There is a campaign supplement called At the Sharp End, this shows you how to build your own campaign, but also has rules for how you track the platoons and their casualties through the campaign. You also have to consider the COs opinion - he will reward your aggression and ruthless pursuit of victory, against your Men's Opinion - they will punish you for high casualties and expensive victories (or defeats). Both of these will influence the level of support you get in subsequent games and the overall force morale. It demands you keep a good balance between aggression and conservation of life.

So far there are campaigns for the US in Normandy and the Ardennes; British paratroopers in Normandy; Germans in Kursk; British in France 1940 and many more to follow (a series of linked Stalingrad campaigns are in the works). The Too Fat Lardies also publish two downloadable magazines each year (a Summer and Christmas 'Special') and these also include campaigns (which is where the Road to Bremen campaign came from).

You can see what's available here:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product-cat ... f-command/

The TFL Specials are here:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product-category/specials/

If you are looking for other historical periods TFL also produce a campaign system for their black powder era rules Sharp Practice, the campaign supplement is called Dawns and Departures and is also available as a pdf from their website.
The Tactical Painter
Ed mac
Supporting Member

Post by Ed mac »

Really enjoyed reading that,great pictures :D
TacticalPainter

The British now move further down the road to Bremen, but what awaits them? Fierce resistance or meek surrender? Perhaps the thunderous blast of a Kriegsmarine supermine? Or then again, some German farmers quietly going about their business? Lots of suspense for both players as the campaign continues to unfold. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... rio-4.html

The Tactical Painter
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 26 02 18

Post by mausmann »

Great pics, thanx for posting.... 8-)

I couldn’t help but notice the “refreshments” in the background of the 3rd pic.... :D
empecinado

Group Builds

Post by empecinado »

Really cool!
TacticalPainter

mausmann wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 pmI couldn’t help but notice the “refreshments” in the background of the 3rd pic.... :D
LOL, well spotted, not sure if you ever watched Blackadder, but I’ve always joked that it’s General Haig’s drinks cabinet still slowly edging its way to Berlin.......
The Tactical Painter
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

TacticalPainter wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:35 pm
mausmann wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:02 pmI couldn’t help but notice the “refreshments” in the background of the 3rd pic.... :D
LOL, well spotted, not sure if you ever watched Blackadder, but I’ve always joked that it’s General Haig’s drinks cabinet still slowly edging its way to Berlin.......

Oh I did......nice one.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TacticalPainter

The British now must make a second attempt to dislodge the Fallschirmjager, but this time they can draw on more support from the main column. Would it be enough to force the Germans from the table? With the clock ticking the British need to press hard to keep the campaign on schedule. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... d-two.html

The Tactical Painter
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 02 03 18

Post by 7dot62mm »

The appearance of any of your AARs always causes an immediate stop in whatever I'm doing and then I'll just sit riveted for the next twenty minutes going over the blow-by-blow replay and in-depth tactical commentary. Absolutely fabulous stuff!
TacticalPainter

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 02 03 18

We managed to just find time to squeeze in one more game before work takes me away for a couple of weeks. The British have swanned across two maps and are now able to manage a schedule that makes victory a tantalising possibility. First they need to clear Map 7 and then, if necessary take the final map in a single turn. So what or who was waiting for them at Map 7? Full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... rio-7.html

The Tactical Painter
Martello Towers

Group Builds

Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign AAR Updated 09 03 18

Post by Martello Towers »

Love these campaigns, and your reports.
Given me all sorts of ideas for something similar too.
Ianwill

Post by Ianwill »

Hi all,

Great report and pictures,

Cheers

Ian
dead1

Post by dead1 »

Absolutely awesome as always.
sediment

Group Builds

Post by sediment »

Great group of AARs. I've really enjoyed Chain of Command. I particularly like the fact that my Battlegroup Forces can double up for Chain of Command, so two rules systems for each force. Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers, Andy

Return to “Game reports”