Whose were those M10s?

The place to knit and natter..
Forrester
Supporting Member

Whose were those M10s?

Post by Forrester »

I've been quite interested recently in the early fighting after D-Day east of the Orne.

At one point the commander of 6th Airborne's air landing brigade scooped up two M10 tank destroyers and added them temporarily to his command.

What I can't confirm is the unit from which those vehicles came.
I'd guess the most likely would have been 3rd Division, or maybe 51st Highland? Does anyone know please?

Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Re: Whose were those M10s?

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Knowing when this happened and when 3 Div moved east of the Orne might make your decision easier.
Alan
Forrester
Supporting Member

Post by Forrester »

This was 8th/9th June, Le Bas de Ranville/Herouvillette.

The Rapid Fire Battlegames book refers in the same scenario to the airborne forces receing supporting fire from 6 pdr and 17 pdr guns of 3rd Division, which may be a clue.
Don McHugh

Group Builds

Post by Don McHugh »

I have read loads on 6th Airborne and I have never read of any 6pdrs or 17 pdrs from 3rd division supporting them. There was an instance of the 3rd Division 25 pdrs firing on the Airborne and soldier having the swim the river and canal to tell them to stop, as they had no radio link.

There was a major attack on the Rainville landing grounds on 10th June that saw the need for tank support to retake the ground.

According to the book 'Go For It' page 79 On the evening of 8th June two M10s on loan from 3rd Division.

Don
CAG 19

Post by CAG 19 »

8th of June 1st Royal Ulster Rifles at Longueval receive support from two M10s and two Bren Groups under the command of Brig Kindersley
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

The sentence in the RF book doesn't say the 6 and 17 pdrs were from 3 Div. The way it is written I read it to mean that the at guns were the Airborne's own and the artillery were from 3 Div.
Alan
Forrester
Supporting Member

Post by Forrester »

I'd read it differently, but I agree the 3rd Division units would have to be pretty close to be providing direct fire support from AT guns. Longer range artillery might be more likely.
Thanks for the reference above to the M10 s being 3rd Division.
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

For those not in possession of the book the important part is " Despite anti-tank fire from 6 pdr and 17 pdrs and artillery support from 3rd Infantry Division and HMS Arethusa ...". If you read that to mean the at guns belonged to 3 Div you could just as easily read it to mean that they belonged to the navy. If only Richard had used "Along with" instead of that second lazy "And" .
Alan

Return to “General Discussion”