What a tanker! anyone?

The place to chat on all manner of rules and systems...
Olivier

What a tanker! anyone?

Post by Olivier » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Has anyone tried that Too Fat Lardies new or very recent set of fast play rules for Tanks.

Was sooooo disappointed by Tanks... played it one, cried and gave the box to a 10 years old boy.

so?
comments and appréciations anyone?

Alanmccoubrey

Re: What a tanker! anyone?

Post by Alanmccoubrey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Olivier, I'd never heard of it until you brought it up.
Alan

chairborne

Post by chairborne » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Simon wrote up an AAR/review of a recent game at the Hitchin club

http://thewargamersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=567

Guddha

Post by Guddha » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:16 pm

Have played it and liked it quite a lot - easy to set up, reasonably fast to play and a surprisingly deep tactical edge to it! The last isn't really that much of a surprise, as it's what I have come to expect from Too Fat Lardies... Works great as a mellow-down fix after a hard-fought game of Battle Group - I realise that makes it sound like a certain herbal remedy, but no less true even so :D

Cheers,
Gustav

SABOT

Post by SABOT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm

I promised myself that if I couldnt think of anything positive to say about something on forums then I would keep quiet. :shock:
Fin .... Tank on!

Faustnik

Post by Faustnik » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm

SABOT wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:25 pm
I promised myself that if I couldnt think of anything positive to say about something on forums then I would keep quiet. :shock:
Exactly my position on this matter

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 am

I too am trying to think positively. ?)

kieven

Post by kieven » Tue May 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Its not for me, but have seen it played at Hitchin and Stevenage club, and they seemed to be having a blast, but still cringe when I see Russian and German on same side fighting desert Brit and German !)

Guddha

Post by Guddha » Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 pm

"What a Tanker" may be a silly name for a rule set, but the game itself is what you make of it. I don't care if people decide to play un-historically or see it as the tabletop equivalent of "World of tanks". That's entirely up to them, and absolutely none of my business... I see it as rules that I can tailor to my own tastes - For me it's an opportunity to use my collection (I normally play Battle Group, as stated above) in a different way, with rules that force me to prioritise and think about how I approach a tank-on-tank encounter that could be set in any other game I play. Un-realistic in places? Certainly, but that's the nature of the beast when it's meant for quick set-up, fast play mayhem!

The point is, I don't want to knock a rule system for how I see others using it. It's the same with Bolt Action - I don't dismiss it because of the way some people decide to use it for blatant powergaming, but I do have serious reservations with some of the rule mechanics, and therefore don't play it...

mausmann
Site Admin

Post by mausmann » Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 pm

As ever it's a case of to each their own........ thmbs2) The world would be a boring place if we all felt the same way.... ;)
Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes in the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.