Airfix rereleases "Vintage Classics" for limited time only

For news of new kits, figures, manufacturers, rules...
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Re: Airfix rereleases "Vintage Classics" for limited time only

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Fire at Will wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm Tempting, if they have tidied up the moulds
Ah, the wargamer's "If"..."if" only they changed the scale to 15mm, etc,. :roll:

Alan
Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky »

Seeing the WW1 figure sets rereleased makes you think what might have been if Hornsby hadn’t cancelled their proposed Great War Centenary sets
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Boroda wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm
mausmann wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm
Forrester wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm But aren't some of these kits, well, a bit old?
Why would anyone torture themselves with the Airfix Churchill?
Coz it’s fun.... :D
Absolutely.

I have very fond memories of most of these and I suspect that I will be getting some. The male MkI was the very first vehicle kit I built, after winning it at a friends birthday party - pass the parcel I think. The HMS Victory was the very first 'big' kit I did. Fairly sure it cost 10/6 (52.5p) then and that I bought it with my birthday money. I did a fairly good job of it but it never did get painted. I never did the Ark Royal, so I might get that one.

To use my daughter’s phraseology....OMG! I think I remember (it was a LONG time ago.....) buying the Airfix Infantry Combat Group and the German equivalent for 2sh 3p or maybe 2sh 8p each....or thereabouts..... :D
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by 7dot62mm »

Boroda wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm
I have very fond memories of most of these and I suspect that I will be getting some. The male MkI was the very first vehicle kit I built
Actually... same here. It was around 1970 and I was about five years old... my father ended up building it though :lol: My second kit was Richthoven's Fokker Triplane and my third, the first one I think I built mostly myself, was the Sherman tank... that one is still on my wargaming table and has been repainted twice now.
ray

Group Builds

Post by ray »

I cannot remember which was my first kit. But I do have fond memories building many Airfix kit in the 70's. thmbs2)
peterh

Post by peterh »

i seem to remember those figures being pretty lacking in detail - although i can vividly picture the hobby shop where i first laid eyes on them during summer vacation and the countless hours setting them up (and losing a fair amount) in the sand on the beach. Occasionally I would recover a few men left behind from the battle the day, or days, before. so many hours of fun, and grateful, though not sure I could ever go back in light of what's available on the market now.
Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky »

The original releases of the WW1 Germans and British (which IIRC were by John Braithwaife) were very crisp and had a standard of sculpting better by a country mile than e.g.the Infantry Combat Group and first series WW2 Germans; not surprising if 50 years on and after hundreds of thousands of sets the moulds show signs of wear.

I remember figures and series one kits being 2/11, which made it an even bigger shock to see the Hinchliffe 20mm Colonial 60pdr and Elephant Team in a hardware shop for more than £1...
Fire at Will
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by Fire at Will »

2/11 I remember buying them for 1/9
Kalinovsky

Post by Kalinovsky »

Yes but you are so much older than I am...
Alanmccoubrey

Group Builds

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

My first ones were the original German Infantry for 2s, they cost more in NI, in 1963, my first kit was the StuG III.
Alan
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by 7dot62mm »

In the newest edition of Workbench https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workb ... e-classics the Airfix team share some of their insights about the re-released range, as well as share some personal tales from their youth.

It is kind of neat that the author specifically mentions wargaming as one of the reasons to bring back these models.

Return to “Hobby News”