What a tanker! anyone?

The place to chat on all manner of rules and systems...
wargameroz

Re: What a tanker! anyone?

Post by wargameroz » Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 am

dead1 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm
mausmann wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 pm
As ever it's a case of to each their own........ thmbs2) The world would be a boring place if we all felt the same way.... ;)
Whereas I agree with everyone likes a different game be it What a Tanker/IABSM/Battlegroup/Bolt Action/Flames of War/COC etc etc, I also find ahistorical matchups to be beyond cringe worthy and smacking of laziness (and sometimes just the pursuit of power gaming).

I'd rather not play than have Finns fighting Japanese on a desert board or whatever other daft combo.
Exactly, I shudder with horror :shock: when I see those type of games, may as well just play with rocks and bits of wood

mausmann
Site Admin

Post by mausmann » Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am

wargameroz wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:36 am
dead1 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:12 pm
mausmann wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 pm
As ever it's a case of to each their own........ thmbs2) The world would be a boring place if we all felt the same way.... ;)
Whereas I agree with everyone likes a different game be it What a Tanker/IABSM/Battlegroup/Bolt Action/Flames of War/COC etc etc, I also find ahistorical matchups to be beyond cringe worthy and smacking of laziness (and sometimes just the pursuit of power gaming).

I'd rather not play than have Finns fighting Japanese on a desert board or whatever other daft combo.
Exactly, I shudder with horror :shock: when I see those type of games, may as well just play with rocks and bits of wood
Oh I can beat that....anyone remember the breakfast cereal game at Partizan....?
Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes in the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.

SABOT

Post by SABOT » Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Oh yes and the entire army of unpainted figures at a demo game at the very first Bovington show.
Fin .... Tank on!

dead1

Post by dead1 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:13 am

mausmann wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am

Oh I can beat that....anyone remember the breakfast cereal game at Partizan....?
What was the breakfast cereal game?

Here in Australia we don't really do gaming conventions except Cancon which seems all about popular games.

TacticalPainter

Post by TacticalPainter » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 pm

wargameroz wrote:
Which opens up that gigantic can of worms that just because a game table looks like WWII, is it actually a game about WWII?

Or is it just a generic game system that could as easily be played with rocks and wood, or, Orcs and Elves?
The Tactical Painter
Painting small figures for tactical games on the tabletop

wargameroz

Post by wargameroz » Sat May 19, 2018 8:18 am

TacticalPainter wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 pm
wargameroz wrote:
Which opens up that gigantic can of worms that just because a game table looks like WWII, is it actually a game about WWII?

Or is it just a generic game system that could as easily be played with rocks and wood, or, Orcs and Elves?
Well I tend to play Rapid Fire or Battlegroup Kursk etc so in those cases yes, plus I try, where possible to use tactics from WW2, and I have a fairly good library of WW2 books from which I like to transfer ideas to my Battlefield.

Personally I’d rather not play a game than play DAK against Japanese as an example I have seen at MOAB a while back

mausmann
Site Admin

Post by mausmann » Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 am

The breakfast cereal game was where various cereal characters played against each other on a red and white checked table cloth. Things like toasters and teapots played a part too. At least that was my perception of it.
Run by Shaun of The Bunker iirc, it looked great fun tbh!
Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes in the wind, and sometimes against it, but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.

SABOT

Post by SABOT » Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm

My regiment charged as part of the Light Brigade. A French Officer observing described it as “Magnificent - but not war!” Just saying. 😏
Fin .... Tank on!