Dumb painting question 101

Please post here your painting guides, tips, how to’s etc...
wargameroz

Dumb painting question 101

Post by wargameroz »

Hi

I have been a Humbrol enamels man since the 1970s but the quality is getting worse so I have been using Tamiya enamels as well.

I have also started to use the Humbrol acrylics and even invested in some Life Colour acrylics, so my dumb question is can I do a uniform jacket in the Humbrol acrylics but use a mix of Humbrol and Tamiya enamels for the Cammo and then do the webbing in acrylics

Thanks

A dinosaur :lol:

7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Re: Dumb painting question 101

Post by 7dot62mm »

A reply from another dinosaur: Yes you can, I do it all the time.

In general one hears the recommendation that one should not paint using both acrylics and enamels because when a plastic figure bends the paints have different reactions to it and may produce chipping/flaking.

I paint all of my figures in Humbrol 33 as primer and then use the best/available paints for the rest of the figure. I haven't really had much in the way of problems. If I use enamels as base color I sometimes have a bit of trouble finding a similar acrylic color to use as wash and then hilight. Also acrylics tend to require two applications of the paint when used on top of some other dark color. But other than those considerations I've been happy doing this.

By the way I agree with your assessment of the quality of Humbrol enamels, they're definitely getting worse. The latest victim seems to be green 102 which I use for painting the washers I use for bases... it used to be very adept at covering the surfaces but now can be uneven and tends to require two applications.
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

102 and 86, my two favourite greens are not worth buying in enamels anymore unless you can find a batch with a single A on the bottom. But the acrylics in those two numbers are pretty close to the original tins

As a solely metal figure painter I don’t have the bendy plastic issue. I generally use Humbrol 64 as my undercoat and go from there although I have started using Tamiya 66 enamel for an undercoat
7dot62mm
Supporting Member

Group Builds

Post by 7dot62mm »

wargameroz wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:50 pm 102 and 86, my two favourite greens are not worth buying in enamels anymore unless you can find a batch with a single A on the bottom. But the acrylics in those two numbers are pretty close to the original tins
Yes, 86 is really nice too. Damn shame about the quality. I'd like to try the Humbrol acrylics but they're not available locally. The same goes for Revell acrylics which I'm pretty fond of as well.
wargameroz

Post by wargameroz »

Haven’t seen them in Oz, and Revell paints are difficult to locate at times as well but I’ll google Revell acrylics and see what I find

Return to “Painting Guides and tips.”