Flimsies

Where to place research pics and info, and ask about the same....
Fitz
Supporting Member

Flimsies

Post by Fitz »

Were the "flimsies" used by the British and Commonwealth painted, or were they issued in their metallic finish? Were they, like jerrycans, used for both petrol and water, and if so, how were they distinguished?

sediment

Group Builds

Re: Flimsies

Post by sediment »

I think they were painted in an appropriate colour for the theatre. I've seen photos of both flimsies and jerry cans marked with a white cross for those containing water.

Cheers, Andy
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

sediment wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:49 am I think they were painted in an appropriate colour for the theatre. I've seen photos of both flimsies and jerry cans marked with a white cross for those containing water.

Cheers, Andy
Did the Germans also paint a white cross on the jerrycans which were used for water?
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
sediment

Group Builds

Post by sediment »

Seems like the white cross was a universal indicator of water in the can, used by British and Germans. The Germans don't seem to have always used the cross though, but relied on a deeply embossed "wasser" just below the filler. Apparently, a white "W" doesn't indicate wasser but "Winterkraftstoff" a cold weather fuel.

Cheers, Andy
mausmann
Site Admin

Group Builds

Post by mausmann »

Many thanx..... thmbs2)
Greatness is not in where we stand,
but in what direction we are moving,
we must sail sometimes in the wind,
and sometimes against it,
but sail we must, and not drift nor lie at anchor.
Hornswoggler

Post by Hornswoggler »

A bit of an aside.... On another forum I posed the question of whether a jerry can could actually be stowed in the mine racks of a US or C'wealth halftrack - my opinion being that it could not, though they are often modelled this way. IIRC nobody produced a reference photo disproving that opinion but Dan Taylor did find one that showed with a sufficient application of force it was possible to jam a flimsy into them.

Return to “Research pics and info”